After I finished drafting my first book I aimed to get it edited. Working with an editor was a lot different than what I expected. I had a couple of preconceived thoughts about working with an editor.
The Total Page Count
The word count is required. The number of pages was irrelevant. First, I learned that editors do not require the total number of pages of your manuscript. Instead, they will determine the cost of the job based on both your word count and turnaround deadline.
Constant Communication
Contact based on clarification, only. Also, I thought I would stay in constant communication. However, that looked different. My experience was straightforward. I provided my project and deadline, and they gave it back to me with the marked up edits and the book-ready approved edits. My editor reached out to me for clarification only when needed.
Conclusion
Approaching an editor demands your manuscript’s word count. It’s best they contact you for any questions about your work, and not the other way around. Next time you inquire about editing be sure to have your manuscript’s word count ready and to be contacted when needed.
Lastly, there are different types of editors and editing, which we’ll discuss in another post. Explore more with IN HER OWN INK.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to read my posts and to offer interesting feedback. I appreciate your insight.