Skip to main content

7 Keys to Becoming a Stronger Author

After publishing a few books I’ve developed my own system for drafting manuscripts. Over the years I’ve gained insight on how to enhance my work and avoid the pitfalls of producing content. Now I aim to share my proven-strategies to overcoming common challenges for both new authors and experienced authors. Although there are many obstacles to writing books, we’ll focus on seven approaches to enriching our process for creating. 


Stay Organized. I stress this step because it’ll help us tackle our work more efficiently. Staying organized looks like having our content divided into sections. Personally, I organize my work into a few categories such as introduction/conclusion and objectives. Reader engagement, and outline, etc. Organizing my binder is among the first steps to diving into my projects and I encourage you to practice this approach as well.


Don’t Work in Chronological Order. Writing our books from A to Z will overwhelm us and increase the likelihood of getting writer’s block. Instead, dive into your project by tackling different areas of your book to get positive results. This way you can successfully complete parts of the book with ease.


Have a Ritual in Place. Practice a routine to grasp laser focus. Your ritual will help you get into the zone faster. Effectively disciplining yourself to produce content.


My ritual includes reviewing specific performances online to inspire me to take action with greater intention. Sometimes, I take a brisk walk around my block, and recite affirmations. If you don’t have any affirmations, borrow mine. 1) You’re a winner, 2) you can do this, 3) you know it’s going to be hard, but you can do it!


Don’t Share Your Work Too Soon. During the early stages of writing, I’ve written introductions and shared them prematurely. Then created an entirely different draft for my book. It’s okay to get feedback but have something to edit and review. Let this push you to develop more content than one section to discuss with your “focus group” and reviewers for constructive feedback. 


Always Edit Your Work. This might seem like a “no-brainer,” but I’ve seen too many people aim to overlook this part of their book development. Also, review your editor’s work. I’ve learned this lesson the hard way. I caught minor errors later on that would’ve been corrected if I looked at the finished product thoroughly opposed to swiftly approving edits. Practice your due diligence.


Don’t Try to Please Readers. Stay authentically true to yourself. Aim to stick to your vision. Opposed to pleasing readers, empower them with your narrative.


Have a Way for Readers to Connect With You. After publishing and receiving feedback from readers I’m encouraged to produce more books. This could look like sharing an email address in the “About the Author” page. Also, sharing your social media.


By having a way for readers to contact us we could determine the impact. Find out if we met goals based on the reader takeaways from our audience. This connection is very rewarding.


Conclusion 

We reviewed seven tips to enhance our crafts. Again, these include: 1) Stay Organized. 2) Don’t Work in Chronological Order. 3) Have a Ritual in Place. 4) Don’t Share Your Work Too Soon. 5) Always Edit Your Work. 6) Don’t Try to Please Readers. 7) Have a Way for Readers to Connect With You. 


I hope this list was beneficial to you. If you need further guidance and support, schedule a free 30 minute picking your ink consultation with IN HER OWN INK.


Get Inspired. Discover More. Call/Text Today. (404)369-0499

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Establishing Your Book Objectives

Generating book objectives is setting up the groundwork for your book design. Creating a strong foundation for your visions is essential to the process of developing your manuscript. I discuss the importance of establishing book objectives to move forward with your plans in my author’s handbook, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author.  Creating Book Objectives      Identifying book objectives reinforces the makeup of your nonfiction work. Answering questions to meet these objectives helps us carry out our promises. We have a clearer understanding of the purpose of our reading and can outline messages. These foundational goals create the scope of our work. To meet the reader by delivering on those promises which the book is based on.       Your goals and messages are built on the book objectives. Your content circles the block on carrying this out. Therefore, every chapter’s argument can reflect on answering those critical qu...

Tackling the Introduction

What is the purpose of your reading? Why select your copy? What promises will you deliver? These are some of the pertinent questions you will answer in your book’s Introduction. Go Harder     The Respect Institute is a public speaking program I partook in. I recall the instructor demanding that we create a strong Introduction and Conclusion. They emphasized the significance of producing a hook to entice the audience, and Conclusion to thoroughly wrap up the talk. Avoiding Common Author Mistakes     After publishing seven books, I’ve learned from my mistakes and matured in book development. My experience and direction will undoubtedly support your publishing endeavors. Working with In Her Own Ink will validate and reinforce effective strategies to build your manuscript.     I discuss practical tips on the building blocks of writing an Introduction in my book, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author. I drill authors on t...

Keep Your Eye on the Prize

You’ve started writing your book and the motivation drops as well as your progress. How do you stir your passion? How can you rekindle your flame? When I hit a roadblock, I’ll do one of these three activities or all of them.  Reflect on my reasons. Revert to my writing ritual. Review the list of questions my reader may have. Proven-Strategies for Creating      In the beginning stages, I’ll jot down my reasons for publishing. Five or more reasons I deserve to publish. I keep this note in the miscellaneous section of my binder. I discussed these tasks in my book, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author.      The writing ritual is where motivation meets discipline. What motivates you into action? Which song, quote, or image gets you moving? Generally, I watch a couple of performances on YouTube that spikes my professional keenness, and produces passion. I do this repeatedly, prior to diving into the mental work of my book development...