Skip to main content

5 Reasons Your Nonfiction Book isn’t Finished Yet

Having published eight books taught me a lot about the common reasons some of us haven't finished writing our manuscripts yet. Based on my personal experience I’ll share practical approaches to developing and finishing the draft. Here we’ll review five challenges authors will face, and methods for overcoming them.


  1. No focus. It’s easy to hold a book idea and draft an introduction and chapter. However, where do we go from there? Beginning a draft shouldn’t start with our introductions. Instead, create clear messages. Before diving into any project, I ALWAYS develop my book objectives. These goals will direct my pen, outline and book’s messages. I focus on making two to five messages I want readers to take away from my nonfiction work.


  1. No structure. After focusing on my key messages for the book, I get organized. I get a binder and separate sections: 1) introduction/conclusion/objectives, 2) outline, 3) chapter content, and so forth. Because I’m a visual learner, I write a book layout from the “dedication” page to the “about the author” page. Then I plug in my ideas. Thus, producing a user-friendly outline which is practical and thorough to follow. 


  1. No clear understanding of the next steps. After working with a book coach on my first book I was able to design my own system to finish the project. Only after getting a hands-on lesson on book-writing and publishing was I able to press forward. If you’re working on your first or second book I encourage you to work with a book coach to gain a solid foundation and direction on how to proceed. IN HER OWN INK offers book coaching from the draft to self-publishing on Amazon.


  1. No perfectionism allowed. Getting stuck early on based on not fulfilling perfection is a complete loss. Instead, expect to make mistakes but still take action. And, learn how to do each part of your work better along the way. Les Brown said, “anything worth doing is worth doing badly until you learn to do it well.”


  1. No deadlines. “I’ll publish my book by the end of the year,” is not sufficient. To this day, I set deadlines for every book. Even though I might miss a deadline, I still have one to strive for. That way I can hold some form of accountability. Therefore, give yourself a deadline. If you don’t meet it, postpone it, but always give yourself a date to work towards. 


We reviewed five common obstacles to completing our books. There are more than five challenges to finishing a book. However, you’ve probably faced at least one of these setbacks. Also, I shared practical techniques to overcome each one. 


Again, here are the five tips for controlling your writing journey and finishing that book: 1) no focus; set clear messages for your reader. 2) No structure; get organized with a binder and book layout and outline. 3) No clear understanding of the next steps; work with a book coach on your first and second book to build a solid foundation. 4) No perfectionism allowed; you’ll make mistakes. Move forward and get something to edit and finish while learning how to develop your craft. Lastly, 5) No deadlines; set realistic deadlines but if you miss it, postpone it until a later deadline. Always strive for a date to finish writing your book.


And, work with IN HER OWN INK to finish your draft and self-publish it. 


Get Inspired. Discover More. Call/Text Today. (404)369-0499


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eye on the Prize

You’ve started writing your book and the motivation drops as well as your progress. How do you stir your passion? How can you rekindle your flame? When I hit a roadblock, I’ll do one of these three activities or all of them.  Reflect on my reasons. Revert to my writing ritual. Review the list of questions my reader may have. Proven-Strategies for Creating      In the beginning stages, I’ll jot down my reasons for publishing. Five or more reasons I deserve to publish. I keep this note in the miscellaneous section of my binder. I discussed these tasks in my book, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author.      The writing ritual is where motivation meets discipline. What motivates you into action? Which song, quote, or image gets you moving? Generally, I watch a couple of performances on YouTube that spikes my professional keenness, and produces passion. I do this repeatedly, prior to diving into the mental work of my book development...

Tackling the Introduction

What is the purpose of your reading? Why select your copy? What promises will you deliver? These are some of the pertinent questions you will answer in your book’s Introduction. Go Harder     The Respect Institute is a public speaking program I partook in. I recall the instructor demanding that we create a strong Introduction and Conclusion. They emphasized the significance of producing a hook to entice the audience, and Conclusion to thoroughly wrap up the talk. Avoiding Common Author Mistakes     After publishing seven books, I’ve learned from my mistakes and matured in book development. My experience and direction will undoubtedly support your publishing endeavors. Working with In Her Own Ink will validate and reinforce effective strategies to build your manuscript.     I discuss practical tips on the building blocks of writing an Introduction in my book, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author. I drill authors on t...

Establishing Your Book Objectives

Generating book objectives is setting up the groundwork for your book design. Creating a strong foundation for your visions is essential to the process of developing your manuscript. I discuss the importance of establishing book objectives to move forward with your plans in my author’s handbook, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author.  Creating Book Objectives      Identifying book objectives reinforces the makeup of your nonfiction work. Answering questions to meet these objectives helps us carry out our promises. We have a clearer understanding of the purpose of our reading and can outline messages. These foundational goals create the scope of our work. To meet the reader by delivering on those promises which the book is based on.       Your goals and messages are built on the book objectives. Your content circles the block on carrying this out. Therefore, every chapter’s argument can reflect on answering those critical qu...