Skip to main content

Strategies For Winning Your Race: Practical Tips on Book-Writing

Publishing books is like running a cross country race. We aim to not only build stamina to pace ourselves for the distance, but to compete with our past performances and run our best times. 


Resiliency at Work

I ran cross country for three years in college. Yet, out of all of my races, there was one in particular which stood out. Not because I won first or second place either.


In fact, I was late for the meet. Despite watching everybody start the race from the parking lot, I was determined to overcome my obstacles. Surprisingly, I landed third place among my team mates. Again, I was the last runner to start, but not the last to finish.


Let’s Go!

Do you have a solid foundation? Are you behind on your book? Still, highly resilient, you hold the willpower to go the extra mile. Awesome! Let’s reposition ourselves to finish stronger. 


As you know, writing books requires self-motivation and discipline. However, what specifically does that entail? Going the distance and maintaining momentum demands a solid foundation. 


Here we’ll discuss practical techniques to help us manage the project. I dive into my system of book-writing which demands: 1) setting clear book objectives, 2) developing an outline. To stay clear-headed, and 3) partner with a book coach to finish your book.


Creating Clear Messages

Set specific goals for your reader to digest. What’s the argument? What are you promising the reader? Reinforcing? Or, promoting. The foundation of your outline is based on addressing these objectives. Generally, I build two to five key points which the book is based on. Then start my outline.


Yet, the outline doesn’t require extensive details. Sometimes, it’s divided by chapters followed by bullet points. Every part of your book focuses on arguing the key points.


Partner With A Coach

To master your talent and techniques it’s best to partner with a coach. In the past, I was intimidated by completing my first book project. I couldn’t envision the finish line. I didn’t have a method to tackle my assignment. 


However, my book coach drilled me and motivated me. Therefore, I was able to hit my target and finish the book.  


While you may have published a book or a few, there are even more methods you can learn to enhance your process. Working with IN HER OWN INK will further guide you on our writing system to get positive results. Equipping you with practical strategies to win your race no matter where and when you started.


Conclusion

How you approach your manuscript is critical. Follow my layout. Determine two to five book objectives. Produce an outline to maintain focus in order to tackle your manuscript. Lastly, work with a book coach to finish your book.


Explore more in-depth techniques by reviewing your copy of In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author (2025). Buy it, use it and complete your book! To boost structure, stay motivated and follow through on your book objectives.


Get Inspired. Discover More. Call/Text Today. (404)369-0499

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eye on the Prize

You’ve started writing your book and the motivation drops as well as your progress. How do you stir your passion? How can you rekindle your flame? When I hit a roadblock, I’ll do one of these three activities or all of them.  Reflect on my reasons. Revert to my writing ritual. Review the list of questions my reader may have. Proven-Strategies for Creating      In the beginning stages, I’ll jot down my reasons for publishing. Five or more reasons I deserve to publish. I keep this note in the miscellaneous section of my binder. I discussed these tasks in my book, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author.      The writing ritual is where motivation meets discipline. What motivates you into action? Which song, quote, or image gets you moving? Generally, I watch a couple of performances on YouTube that spikes my professional keenness, and produces passion. I do this repeatedly, prior to diving into the mental work of my book development...

Tackling the Introduction

What is the purpose of your reading? Why select your copy? What promises will you deliver? These are some of the pertinent questions you will answer in your book’s Introduction. Go Harder     The Respect Institute is a public speaking program I partook in. I recall the instructor demanding that we create a strong Introduction and Conclusion. They emphasized the significance of producing a hook to entice the audience, and Conclusion to thoroughly wrap up the talk. Avoiding Common Author Mistakes     After publishing seven books, I’ve learned from my mistakes and matured in book development. My experience and direction will undoubtedly support your publishing endeavors. Working with In Her Own Ink will validate and reinforce effective strategies to build your manuscript.     I discuss practical tips on the building blocks of writing an Introduction in my book, In Her Own Ink: Strategies for Creating from Author to Author. I drill authors on t...

Getting Started: Organizing Your Thoughts

Before I dive into my book project I commit to a few initial steps. They establish the foundation. I carry out these practices to ensure focus and motivation. While there are several approaches to book writing, I’ll bring our attention to getting organized. Setting the Foundation      First, create book objectives. This is the purpose of the book. Also, your promises to the reader. As the author, what book goals do you have? Why are you writing the book? How will you empower your reader?        Answering these questions will help you determine the makeup of your book design. Generally, two to five objectives are ideal. The entire book is committed to solidifying your promises to the reader. Your Motivation for Publishing      Second, create three to seven reasons you deserve to publish. This list can be used as a tool to rekindle your passion. When you hit writer’s block, refer back to your list of reasons. Reflecting on them will help y...